As world No. 1 Rory McIlroy accompanied girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in Australia this week, the tennis star was sporting an accessory that indicated perhaps the pair got more than matching t-shirts for each other this Christmas.
According to the Daily Mail, Wozniacki was wearing a sapphire and diamond-encrusted ring on her left hand Friday, leading many to believe that the 22-year-old may now be engaged to golf's 'it' guy.
However, the rumors have since been denied in a statement from McIlroy's camp saying that he "would like to confirm that he has NOT become engaged to Caroline Wozniacki."
The Dane removed the ring before practicing for her opening match of the Brisbane International, which serves as a warm-up for next month's Australian Open, tennis' first major of 2013.
The 23-year-old Ulsterman has plenty of free time with which to accompany Wozniacki, as his 2013 playing schedule will not begin until the HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship, Jan. 17-20. Upon arrival at the airport, she made it clear that McIlroy gives her ample space while preparing for an event.
"He leaves me alone to just let me do my thing," she told reporters.
Last month the pair also faced questions about a potential engagement after a fellow tennis player "congratulated" the couple on their purported plans to wed as part of a prank. Wozniacki took to Twitter to quickly end the speculation.
"Not engaged yet," she tweeted at the time to Sascha Bajin. "But you'll be the first to know if we do! ;) hehe."
Tags: Rory McIlroy
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path