As world No. 1 Rory McIlroy accompanied girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in Australia this week, the tennis star was sporting an accessory that indicated perhaps the pair got more than matching t-shirts for each other this Christmas.
According to the Daily Mail, Wozniacki was wearing a sapphire and diamond-encrusted ring on her left hand Friday, leading many to believe that the 22-year-old may now be engaged to golf's 'it' guy.
However, the rumors have since been denied in a statement from McIlroy's camp saying that he "would like to confirm that he has NOT become engaged to Caroline Wozniacki."
The Dane removed the ring before practicing for her opening match of the Brisbane International, which serves as a warm-up for next month's Australian Open, tennis' first major of 2013.
The 23-year-old Ulsterman has plenty of free time with which to accompany Wozniacki, as his 2013 playing schedule will not begin until the HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship, Jan. 17-20. Upon arrival at the airport, she made it clear that McIlroy gives her ample space while preparing for an event.
"He leaves me alone to just let me do my thing," she told reporters.
Last month the pair also faced questions about a potential engagement after a fellow tennis player "congratulated" the couple on their purported plans to wed as part of a prank. Wozniacki took to Twitter to quickly end the speculation.
"Not engaged yet," she tweeted at the time to Sascha Bajin. "But you'll be the first to know if we do! ;) hehe."
Tags: Rory McIlroy
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose