As world No. 1 Rory McIlroy accompanied girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in Australia this week, the tennis star was sporting an accessory that indicated perhaps the pair got more than matching t-shirts for each other this Christmas.
According to the Daily Mail, Wozniacki was wearing a sapphire and diamond-encrusted ring on her left hand Friday, leading many to believe that the 22-year-old may now be engaged to golf's 'it' guy.
However, the rumors have since been denied in a statement from McIlroy's camp saying that he "would like to confirm that he has NOT become engaged to Caroline Wozniacki."
The Dane removed the ring before practicing for her opening match of the Brisbane International, which serves as a warm-up for next month's Australian Open, tennis' first major of 2013.
The 23-year-old Ulsterman has plenty of free time with which to accompany Wozniacki, as his 2013 playing schedule will not begin until the HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship, Jan. 17-20. Upon arrival at the airport, she made it clear that McIlroy gives her ample space while preparing for an event.
"He leaves me alone to just let me do my thing," she told reporters.
Last month the pair also faced questions about a potential engagement after a fellow tennis player "congratulated" the couple on their purported plans to wed as part of a prank. Wozniacki took to Twitter to quickly end the speculation.
"Not engaged yet," she tweeted at the time to Sascha Bajin. "But you'll be the first to know if we do! ;) hehe."
Tags: Rory McIlroy
Graeme McDowell and Lee Westwood both weighed in on Rory McIlroy's decision to leave Horizon Sports Management. Read More
- Garcia sorry, apologizes to Woods | Scores
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management