Mickelson picks up where he left off
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Feb 16, 2012 8:08 PM ET
Less than a week after he won at Pebble Beach with a sizzling final-round 64, Phil Mickelson shot to the top of the leaderboard again, this time in the first round of the Northern Trust Open.
Mickelson shot a 5-under 66 at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles, punctuating the round with a chip-in birdie on his final hole. He was one stroke ahead of J.B. Holmes and Hunter Mahan.
Mickelson has won consecutive events three times previously: the BellSouth Classic and Masters in 2006, the FBR Open and AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am in 2005 and the Nortel Open and Phoenix Open in 1996.
In Saturday’s third round of the Northern Trust Open, Charlie Beljan nervously stepped onto the first tee with a pair of Hall of Famers, Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson. Five hours later, after outplayin... Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Lewis in LPGA finale
- SCORING: Bae wins in Texas | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play