FARMINGDALE, N.Y. – Phil Mickelson has gushed over his love for New York all week while at Bethpage Black. Turns out, his gushing had some gusto behind it.
Mickelson shot a 3-under 68 in the first round of The Barclays, and is in contention for the first time in months.
In his past six starts on the PGA Tour, he has withdrawn (Memorial), missed two cuts and his best finish was a T-36 at the PGA Championship.
“My game really took a turn for the positive at the PGA, where on the weekend I started to really strike it well, and I spent time this last week working on it,” Mickelson said.
Mickelson has a great track record in New York – four second-place finishes in U.S. Opens staged in the state – and perhaps this week he can turn things around.
Adam Scott has had a winless year, but he is hoping all that will change at this week’s Barclays Singapore Open. Scott has brought home this event title three times, now he is looking for his fourth. Read More
The top 125 players are ready to battle Bethpage Black, site of The Barclays, the first event of the 2012 FedExCup Playoffs. Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy will be paired together for the first time all... Read More
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth