Mickelson talks Masters, putting, Tiger, Olympics
- By Jay Coffin
- Mar 7, 2012 4:07 PM ET
DORAL, Fla. – Phil Mickelson arrived at Doral Wednesday fresh off a two-week hiatus on the PGA Tour and two days at Augusta National with Keegan Bradley and Dustin Johnson.
Here’s a rundown of Mickelson’s best comments from a Wednesday sitdown with the press:
On Augusta National: “It’s in great shape as it always is. Every year, two greens are redone with subtle changes and this year those holes were 8 and 16.”
“I just love playing there and there’s a few courses in the world that I get excited to go play.”
Did he keep score playing Augusta National with Bradley and Johnson: “Just 1 up, 2 up, 3 up….”
Asked thoughts about Ernie Els declaring Tiger Woods is back after his final-round 62 at the Honda Classic: “Yeah, obviously (Tiger) was paying attention a couple of weeks ago which is nice to see.”
On recent form: “I’m glad to be back playing well again, and to be not just executing in practice. That just feels really good, to be making putts again. This is a different year for me for one simple reason: my putter is back. I hit the ball great the last couple of years, and this year, I can roll it again and it feels terrific.”
The announcement that Gil Hanse will design the 2016 Olympic golf course in Rio: “It would have been easier to go with a big name. And instead, they went with the best. I thought that was pretty cool.”
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path