Mississippi PGA Tour event gets new title sponsor
- By Will Gray
- Mar 12, 2013 3:57 PM ET
Having been played in 2012 without the benefit of a true title sponsor, the PGA Tour's lone stop in the state of Mississippi has secured one in advance of this year's event.
Formerly known as the True South Classic, the event will now be called the Sanderson Farms Championship, the Tour announced this week. The change will be in effect for this year's tournament, which will be held opposite the British Open, July 18-21, at Annandale Golf Club in Madison, Miss.
The event was known as the Viking Classic from 2007-2011, but Viking withdrew its sponsorship following the 2011 installment. Last year's event, won by Scott Stallings, was held without a true title sponsor and instead kept afloat by a consortium of smaller sponsors.
The title sponsorship agreement for Sanderson Farms, a poultry producer based in Laurel, Miss., is for one year, with the company retaining the option to extend the deal for three years beyond that.
"That will be a subjective evaluation after the tournament," Sanderson CEO Joe Sanderson said of a possible extension, according to the Clarion-Ledger report. "It feels right for our employers and shareholders, and certainly right for the charities in the state. We will make that determination after the event."
Tags: True South Classic
James Walton’s tee shot at the par-3 17th stopped 4 ½ feet away from the hole on Wednesday to win the annual closet-to-the-pin caddie competition at TPC Sawgrass. Read More
- SCORING: McDowell, Jaidee in Match Play final
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process