Hadwin, Monday qualifier, opens with 66 at Torrey Pines
- By Randall Mell
- Jan 24, 2013 9:13 PM ET
SAN DIEGO – Adam Hadwin is looking to become just the third Monday qualifier in 26 years to win a PGA Tour event.
Thursday was a good day for Canadians at the Farmers Insurance Open.
Not only did Mike Weir move in position to end a streak of failing to make the cut in his last 18 starts – getting in early contention with a 66 – but Hadwin, a fellow Canadian, also opened with a 66.
Hadwin, 25, a two-time Canadian Tour winner, is using Monday qualifiers on the West Coast to get ready for the start of the Web.com Tour season in Panama next month. He posted his bogey-free 66 Thursday on the North Course.
“Just using the Mondays as a bit of a warmup,” Hadwin said.
The last Monday qualifier to win a PGA Tour event was Arjun Atwal, who took home the trophy at the Wyndham Championship in 2010. The last before that was Fred Wadsworth, winner of the Southern Open in 1986.
Hadwin finished 30th on the Web.com Tour money list last season.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Byron Nelson final round
- SCORING: Wind howling at Nelson | LPGA Mobile
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play