Monty lobbies to captain Euros at '14 Ryder Cup
- By Ryan Lavner
- Aug 7, 2012 11:31 AM ET
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Apparently the players here at the PGA Championship aren’t the only ones with the Ryder Cup on their minds.
On Tuesday in Scotland, Colin Montgomerie confirmed that if extended the invitation, he again would captain the European side when the Ryder Cup heads to Gleneagles in 2014.
“I’ll do anything I can to help the European team,” said Montgomerie, according to Golf Monthly (UK). “If the European Tour wants me to be captain, I will be.”
Other possible candidates for the gig include Paul McGinley, Thomas Bjorn and Darren Clarke. Tony Jacklin was the most recent captain to hold the position more than once, leading the Euros four times in the 1980s. Montgomerie, though, seems the favorite to captain another.
The Scot helped lead the European squad to victory in 2010 at Celtic Manor in Wales. Speaking at a media day Tuesday for the Johnnie Walker Championship, to be played at Gleneagles’ PGA Centenary Course later this month, he said, “If you go back to the days of Jacklin and (Bernard) Gallacher, yes, there’s an opportunity to do it again. And I don’t think the rules have changed.”
Only two weeks remain until the Johnnie Walker, the last event that counts toward this year's European Ryder Cup qualifying.
Tags: Colin Montgomerie
From the Sergio Garcia-Tiger Woods drama at The Players to the induction of Fred Couples and Colin Montgomerie into the World Golf Hall of Fame, enjoy this week's edition of Quotes of the Week. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth