Nelson Mandela Championship launches 2013 Race to Dubai
- By Will Gray
- Aug 30, 2012 10:40 AM ET
The 2013 Race to Dubai will begin this December with the inaugural Nelson Mandela Championship in South Africa, the European Tour announced.
The tournament, whose venue has yet to be confirmed, will take place Dec. 6-9 and will include 156 participants split equally among European Tour and Sunshine Tour players. Both tours will co-sanction the event.
Bearing the name of the former South African president and Nobel Peace Prize recipient, the event will be one of six tournaments held in South Africa as part of the 2013 European Tour international schedule.
The Race to Dubai serves as a season-long competition for European Tour members, with the winner receiving a $1 million bonus and seven-year tour exemption. This season, the race concludes Nov. 22-25 with the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai at Jumeirah Golf Estates in the United Arab Emirates.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path