Nelson Mandela Championship launches 2013 Race to Dubai
- By Will Gray
- Aug 30, 2012 10:40 AM ET
The 2013 Race to Dubai will begin this December with the inaugural Nelson Mandela Championship in South Africa, the European Tour announced.
The tournament, whose venue has yet to be confirmed, will take place Dec. 6-9 and will include 156 participants split equally among European Tour and Sunshine Tour players. Both tours will co-sanction the event.
Bearing the name of the former South African president and Nobel Peace Prize recipient, the event will be one of six tournaments held in South Africa as part of the 2013 European Tour international schedule.
The Race to Dubai serves as a season-long competition for European Tour members, with the winner receiving a $1 million bonus and seven-year tour exemption. This season, the race concludes Nov. 22-25 with the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai at Jumeirah Golf Estates in the United Arab Emirates.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- C. Choi tops crowded LPGA leaderboard | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process