Created as a precursor to the Walker Cup, last week’s Jones Cup certainly offered a peak at what the U.S. team could look like when the Walker Cup is played in September at New York’s National Golf Links of America.
University of North Florida’s Sean Dale played his last 13 holes in 4 under for a two-stroke victory on Sunday at Ocean Forest Golf Club. Dale, who didn’t play during the fall season for North Florida to participate in PGA Tour Q-School, finished with a 69.
Cory Whitsett (75), one of 16 players named to the U.S. Walker Cup practice session late last year, and Alex Carpenter (71) finished tied for second place at 1 under par.
Dale became the first Jones Cup champion to finish under par since Rees Jones redesigned Ocean Forest in 2007.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path