Created as a precursor to the Walker Cup, last week’s Jones Cup certainly offered a peak at what the U.S. team could look like when the Walker Cup is played in September at New York’s National Golf Links of America.
University of North Florida’s Sean Dale played his last 13 holes in 4 under for a two-stroke victory on Sunday at Ocean Forest Golf Club. Dale, who didn’t play during the fall season for North Florida to participate in PGA Tour Q-School, finished with a 69.
Cory Whitsett (75), one of 16 players named to the U.S. Walker Cup practice session late last year, and Alex Carpenter (71) finished tied for second place at 1 under par.
Dale became the first Jones Cup champion to finish under par since Rees Jones redesigned Ocean Forest in 2007.
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play