Created as a precursor to the Walker Cup, last week’s Jones Cup certainly offered a peak at what the U.S. team could look like when the Walker Cup is played in September at New York’s National Golf Links of America.
University of North Florida’s Sean Dale played his last 13 holes in 4 under for a two-stroke victory on Sunday at Ocean Forest Golf Club. Dale, who didn’t play during the fall season for North Florida to participate in PGA Tour Q-School, finished with a 69.
Cory Whitsett (75), one of 16 players named to the U.S. Walker Cup practice session late last year, and Alex Carpenter (71) finished tied for second place at 1 under par.
Dale became the first Jones Cup champion to finish under par since Rees Jones redesigned Ocean Forest in 2007.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots