Olazabal surprised Mahan left off Ryder Cup team
- By Ryan Lavner
- Sep 5, 2012 8:52 AM ET
U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III ended months of speculation Tuesday when he announced Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Dustin Johnson and Brandt Snedeker as his four wild-card selections, mixing what he believed was an ideal blend of experience and hot hands.
Love’s opposing captain, Jose Maria Olazabal, said Wednesday that his “only question mark” was seeing Hunter Mahan, a two-time winner on the PGA Tour this season (WGC-Match Play, Houston), left off the squad.
“They are very solid picks,” Olazabal said at the Dutch Open, this week’s European Tour stop. “All the American players, from nine to 14 on the list, were very solid and Davis could have picked any four. The only question mark as I see it was Snedeker picked ahead of Mahan, but then Davis has gone for form.
“Snedeker has pretty much been playing well from the start of the summer and all the way to the FedEx series. However, Mahan has not been playing all that well, so (Love) went for form and in that regard, he has my respect.”
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots