Potter beats Kelly in playoff to take Greenbrier Classic
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 8, 2012 7:00 PM ET
Ted Potter Jr. is known as "The Wizard." He pulled a rabbit out of the hat on the final two holes of regulation at the Old White TPC to win The Greenbrier Classic. Potter finished eagle-birdie to tie Troy Kelly for the lead at 16 under par, then beat him on the third hole of a sudden-death playoff for his first PGA Tour win.
Both players made par in the first hole of overtime at the par-3 18th. At the par-5 17th, Potter left himself a 4-foot birdie putt for the win after Kelly struggled to make par. Potter missed, leading to a third playoff hole. Playing the 18th for the third time on the day, Potter again stuck it close for birdie. This time, Potter made the putt for the victory.
Kelly had a chance to win the tournament in regulation, but made a par at the short par-3 closing hole of regulation to force a playoff.
Webb Simpson, who entered the final round in the lead by two shots, stumbled on the back nine. He made four bogeys in the final six holes to finish at 11 under and tied for seventh place. Simpson was joined in seventh by Ken Duke, Sean O'Hair, Roberto Castro and Kevin Na.
John Daly posted his best PGA Tour finish since finishing T-9 last year at the Canadian Open, ending at T-12 at 10 under par.
James Walton’s tee shot at the par-3 17th stopped 4 ½ feet away from the hole on Wednesday to win the annual closet-to-the-pin caddie competition at TPC Sawgrass. Read More
- SCORING: Bae leads Bradley | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play