The par-3 17th at the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass is often said to have an island green. With a small walking area to the putting surface, however, it's more of a peninsula than an island.
After seven inches of rain from Tropical Storm Debby fell on the Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., area beginning Sunday night, however, the green at the devilish hole has temporarily become an island, according to the agronomy staff at TPC Sawgrass.
The rain has collected in the pond guarding the green on three sides and lining the right side of the fairway at the par-5 16th. The water level has risen over the walkway to the 17th green and nearly onto the green. Water from the pond lining the left side of the 18th hole has also crested into the fairway.
More rain is expected to fall through the week.
Tags: TPC Sawgrass
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots