Singh leads Greenbrier after Day 1; Tiger 8 back
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 5, 2012 7:29 PM ET
Vijay Singh didn't see this coming, but the 49-year-old leads after the first round of The Greenbrier Classic. Singh shot 7-under 63 to lead by a shot over Jeff Maggert, a year younger than him, Jonathan Byrd and Martin Flores.
"Gosh, I don't know where that came from," Singh said of his low round of the season. "I've been playing pretty good golf for a while but just never got any scoring going. But today seemed I hit it close and drove the ball really well, hit a lot of greens and made some nice putts."
Singh birdied six of his last eight holes, including the final four in a row, to grab the lead.
Tiger Woods struggled with the speed of the greens at the Old White TPC, shooting 1-over 71 to trail by eight shots. He shot the same score in relationship to par last week to start the AT&T National. He trailed by five after Day 1, eventually winning by two shots. Phil Mickelson also carded 71.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path