KAPALUA, Hawaii – PGA Tour officials decided to wipe out the first round of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions.
The opening round was delayed at 12:46 p.m. local time Friday because of heavy winds that were gusting up to 50 miles per hour.
“They tell us this condition is going to continue and they can’t get the ball to come to rest, so it’s basically unplayable out there,” rules official Jon Brendle said of the original delay of play. “We have a lot of time, we only have 30 players. We can figure a lot of things out to get 72 holes in.”
The wind had combined with intermittent rain that’s been heavy at times to cause brutal conditions on the course.
Only 24 of the 30 players in the field have even teed off, with Webb Simpson (3 under) and Jonas Blixt (1- under) the only ones under par. No scores will count, however, and the tournament will be re-started on Saturday.
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots