Ryder Cup draws best Sunday TV ratings since 1999
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Oct 1, 2012 12:44 PM ET
The 2012 Ryder Cup had more in common with the 1999 edition than a dramatic comeback. The final session Sunday at Medinah Country Club, aired by Golf Channel on NBC, received an overnight TV rating of 4.1. It’s the best overnight rating for the final session of the event in 13 years.
Just as the U.S. team did at Brookline in ’99, the Europeans overcame a 10-6 deficit in Sunday singles to win the cup, 14 ½ to 13 ½. The 4.1 overnight rating is 71 percent higher than that of the 2010 Ryder Cup in Wales (2.4) and 21 percent higher than the ’08 playing at Valhalla (3.4).
The 1999 Ryder Cup drew a 6.3 overnight rating.
Tags: Ryder Cup
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path