PHOENIX – Lizette Salas turned a putting lesson and a dose of inspiration from her idol into a low round Saturday at the RR Donnelley LPGA Founders Cup.
Hall of Famer Nancy Lopez watched Salas play all 18 holes Friday, helped her with her putting afterward and then accompanied Salas to dinner.
Salas responded with a 6-under-par 66 Saturday to move into a tie for fourth at JW Marriott’s Wildfire Golf Club. She's at 13-under 203, six shots off the lead.
“It was such an honor for her to watch my game, and to get compliments from her is so important to me,” said Salas, 23, a second-year pro and USC graduate. “We had dinner, my dad came, too, my caddie, we all had dinner, shared stories. She's just a lovely person, not just a great golfer, but she's an amazing woman with lots of good stories. She told me her Solheim Cup stories and it's a great, great day for me and my dad.”
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd at Colonial for using putting aid
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots