Year-end OWGR: Rory No. 1, Schwartzel 14th, Olesen 50th
- By Ryan Lavner
- Dec 16, 2012 7:02 PM ET
In the final Official World Ranking of the season, released Sunday, Rory McIlroy retained the No. 1 spot, back-to-back winner Charl Schwartzel moved to 14th, and Thorbjorn Olesen earned a Masters berth by finishing the season ranked 50th.
The top 50 in the year-ending OWGR receive Masters invitations. That was good news for No. 49 George Coetzee and No. 50 Olesen, who narrowly finished inside the top 50 to ensure they will make their Masters debuts this April. Nos. 51-55 were Geoff Ogilvy, Shane Lowry, Henrik Stenson, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Marcus Fraser, respectively.
Schwartzel, who won in dominating fashion for the second consecutive week, moved to No. 14 in the world. Two weeks ago, before he won the Thailand Golf Championship by 11 strokes and the Alfred Dunhill Championship by a dozen, was ranked 27th.
Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki explained that boyfriend Rory McIlroy has increased his fitness level of late, sometimes eclipsing her own drive to hit the gym. Read More
- Less is more? Watson reduces captain's picks
- Woods draws Els, Rose at Bay Hill | Tee times
- Woods, Vonn say they're dating | Meet Lindsey
- Chinese pre-teen Ye, 12, qualifies for Euro event
- Report: Haney impressed by Tiger this year
- Fantasy: Bay Hill rankings, fact pack and picks
- Notes: Arnie passes on exemption for grandson
- Lewis inks deal | New No. 1 | Donates $50K
- Lewis wins Founders; No. 1 | Scores | Mell
- Land finally being cleared for 2016 Olympic course
- Holmes fractures ankle in rollerblading accident
- Weekly Fix: Curing the dreaded two-way miss