Year-end OWGR: Rory No. 1, Schwartzel 14th, Olesen 50th
- By Ryan Lavner
- Dec 16, 2012 7:02 PM ET
In the final Official World Ranking of the season, released Sunday, Rory McIlroy retained the No. 1 spot, back-to-back winner Charl Schwartzel moved to 14th, and Thorbjorn Olesen earned a Masters berth by finishing the season ranked 50th.
The top 50 in the year-ending OWGR receive Masters invitations. That was good news for No. 49 George Coetzee and No. 50 Olesen, who narrowly finished inside the top 50 to ensure they will make their Masters debuts this April. Nos. 51-55 were Geoff Ogilvy, Shane Lowry, Henrik Stenson, Miguel Angel Jimenez and Marcus Fraser, respectively.
Schwartzel, who won in dominating fashion for the second consecutive week, moved to No. 14 in the world. Two weeks ago, before he won the Thailand Golf Championship by 11 strokes and the Alfred Dunhill Championship by a dozen, was ranked 27th.
Graeme McDowell and Lee Westwood both weighed in on Rory McIlroy's decision to leave Horizon Sports Management. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management