SAN FRANCISCO – Charl Schwartzel will play the final round of the U.S. Open Sunday then take off a month because of a rib injury, according to the Associated Press. His next start is expected to be the British Open at Royal Lytham & St. Annes.
Schwartzel has shot 73-70-74 through three rounds here at The Olympic Club and is tied for 32nd place entering the final round. He has decided to play the round but has already withdrawn from the Travelers Championship next week in Hartford, Conn.
Schwartzel told the AP that he has experienced discomfort all week, and doctors told him he should rest for the next few weeks. If he doesn't take a break now, the rib injury will continue to linger.
- SCORING: Wind howling at Nelson | LPGA Mobile
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile Bay; Nordqvist fires 61
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play