SAN FRANCISCO – Charl Schwartzel will play the final round of the U.S. Open Sunday then take off a month because of a rib injury, according to the Associated Press. His next start is expected to be the British Open at Royal Lytham & St. Annes.
Schwartzel has shot 73-70-74 through three rounds here at The Olympic Club and is tied for 32nd place entering the final round. He has decided to play the round but has already withdrawn from the Travelers Championship next week in Hartford, Conn.
Schwartzel told the AP that he has experienced discomfort all week, and doctors told him he should rest for the next few weeks. If he doesn't take a break now, the rib injury will continue to linger.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path