Travelers' marquee group doesn't disappoint
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jun 21, 2012 6:40 PM ET
In his first round as a major champion, U.S. Open winner Webb Simpson showed little signs of exhaustion from his victory at The Olympic Club.
Simpson shot 4-under 66 at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn., to trail David Mathis by two shots after the first round of the Travelers Championship.
Masters champion Bubba Watson (66) and PGA champion Keegan Bradley (68) were grouped with Simpson in a trio of the last three major champions.
Mathis carded 64, including a 6-under stretch through his first six holes of the tournament. He made a hole-in-one at the par-3 11th from 158 yards with a 9-iron to kickstart his round.
Three players trail Mathis by a shot, including defending champion Fredrik Jacobson, Nathan Green and Will Claxton.
A group of 10 players, including Simpson and Watson, is two behind Mathis.
Matt Kuchar is three behind the lead after an opening 67.
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose