Travelers' marquee group doesn't disappoint
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jun 21, 2012 6:40 PM ET
In his first round as a major champion, U.S. Open winner Webb Simpson showed little signs of exhaustion from his victory at The Olympic Club.
Simpson shot 4-under 66 at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn., to trail David Mathis by two shots after the first round of the Travelers Championship.
Masters champion Bubba Watson (66) and PGA champion Keegan Bradley (68) were grouped with Simpson in a trio of the last three major champions.
Mathis carded 64, including a 6-under stretch through his first six holes of the tournament. He made a hole-in-one at the par-3 11th from 158 yards with a 9-iron to kickstart his round.
Three players trail Mathis by a shot, including defending champion Fredrik Jacobson, Nathan Green and Will Claxton.
A group of 10 players, including Simpson and Watson, is two behind Mathis.
Matt Kuchar is three behind the lead after an opening 67.
Graeme McDowell made amends for last year's defeat to capture the Volvo World Match Play Championship on Sunday, defeating Thongchai Jaidee 2 and 1 in the final at Thracian Cliffs Golf and Beach Resor... Read More
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play