Beginning his third round at 2 over and facing Spyglass Hill, the toughest of the three courses in rotation at this week's AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, Vijay Singh appeared very much in danger of missing the 54-hole cut.
After two straight rounds of 72, though, Singh rallied with a 6-under 66 Saturday to surge up the leaderboard. At 4 under, the Fijian comfortably made the cut and now sits in a tie for 32nd after three rounds.
A winner here in 2004 and a runner-up on three other occasions, Singh entered this week's field as rumors continued to swirl over a possible suspension from the PGA Tour. After reports surfaced last week that the 3-time major winner had regularly taken a deer antler spray that contained IGF-1, a substance banned by the Tour's anti-doping policy, he withdrew late in the week from the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
The distractions appeared to affect the World Golf Hall of Fame member early on this week, especially Friday as he managed just a single birdie en route to a 2-over 72 at Monterey Peninsula. That changed Saturday, though, as Singh carded eight birdies on his round, including a stretch of five birdies in six holes from Nos. 6-11.
While the jury is still out on what, if any, punishment Singh will face from the Tour, he appears ready to play on until instructed otherwise. A runner-up at the Northern Trust Open two years ago, Singh's name was among those listed in the official field for next week's event when it was published on Friday.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots