If PGA Tour officials are going to take action on Vijay Singh over his reported use of a banned substance, it appears they have yet to do so.
Customarily, the field for the following week's event on the PGA Tour is made official the Friday prior to event week. When the final field for next week's AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am was released Friday, Singh's name was among the entrants currently slated to tee it up next Thursday on the Monterey Peninsula.
After reports surfaced Tuesday that Singh used a deer antler spray containing IGF-1, a substance currently banned under the Tour's policy regarding performance-enhancing drugs, the Fijian withdrew from this week's Waste Management Phoenix Open. The withdrawal was attributed to a back injury reportedly sustained earlier in the week.
The only player to have tested positive since the Tour instituted its drug policy in 2008 is Doug Barron, who was suspended for one year for use of prescribed beta blockers. There is no official word yet on what, if any, suspension Singh will face, or when it could potentially take effect.
A three-time major champion and member of the World Golf Hall of Fame, Singh has been a mainstay at the Pebble Beach event, winning it in 2004 and finishing runner-up in 2000, 2001 and 2008. He has played in the event every year since 1997.
One player whose name was - as expected - not listed in the field for next week was Tiger Woods. Woods, who tied for 15th last year in his first appearance in the event since 2002, will sit out this year and is next expected to tee it up at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship later this month.
Tags: Vijay Singh
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path