SAN DIEGO – Defending champion Brandt Snedeker picked up where he left off with his fast start Thursday in the first round of the Farmers Insurance Open.
Snedeker opened with 7-under-par 65 on the North Course at Torrey Pines to take a share of the first-round lead with K.J. Choi.
A year ago, Snedeker came from seven shots back in the final round to win. He looks intent on winning from the front this time around, but he isn’t about to get ahead of himself. He saw with Kyle Stanley last year how quickly leads can disappear around here.
Still, Snedeker loves Torrey Pines, maybe as much as Tiger Woods does. Snedeker shot 61 in the first round the first time he played a PGA Tour event here in ‘07. He ended up finishing third in what was only his third start as a rookie.
In ’08, Snedeker tied for ninth here in the U.S. Open. Two years later, he tied for second when Ben Crane won. In seven starts at Torrey Pines, Snedeker has five top-10 finishes.
“I love being here, which is great,” Snedeker said. “It puts you in the right mindset for the rest of the week, when you're excited about being in a place. The golf course for some reason just fits my eye really well. The greens, I have no problem adjusting to these greens, whatsoever. I come in hitting the ball at the right speed, reading the right lines, and when you do that, and you have that kind of confidence, it kind of bleeds into the rest of your game. So, I never really panic around here. I always know I'm one round away from playing really well. So it kind of all blends into being a great fit for me."
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots