Sorenstam, Koch vice captains at 2013 Solheim Cup
- By Jay Coffin
- Aug 28, 2012 11:45 AM ET
Annika Sorenstam was offered the 2013 European Solheim Cup captain job earlier this year. Twice. She declined, saying that timing just was not right. Ultimately, Liselotte Neumann, Sorenstam's childhood idol while growing up in Sweden, was selected to lead Team Europe.
Tuesday, Sorenstam was named a vice captain for the 2013 European team when the Solheim Cup matches are played in Colorado. Sorenstam held the same role for the victorious European team in 2011 in Ireland. Fellow Swede Carin Koch, a veteran of four Solheim Cups, was also named a vice captain.
"I'm very honored and excited to join Lotta and the European Solheim Cup team once again as a vice captain," Sorenstam said. "Lotta has been a friend of mine for nearly 20 years and actually inspired me to follow my dreams when she broke through and won the U.S. Women's Open in 1988.
"I have always respected her class and demeanor and I know she will be a great leader for Team Europe. I look forward to helping Lotta in any way possible."
Sorenstam, 41, has a 22-11-4 career record while playing in eight Solheim Cups, winning in 2000 at Loch Lomond and in 2003 at Barseback Golf Club in her native Sweden.
Koch, 41, was on both the 2000 and 2003 winning European teams and holed the winning putt in 2000 at Loch Lomond. In 16 career Solheim Cup matches, Koch's record is 10-3-3.
"Lotta was my first role model in golf and she will be a wonderful leader for the team," Koch said. "Annika and I played together on the Swedish team growing up, on the LET and LPGA. We were great playing together in the Solheim Cup and I'm sure we will be great together in assisting Lotta."
Staked to a big lead heading into singles, the U.S. turned in a dominating performance at the Palmer Cup, winning 20.5-9.5. Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path