SAN FRANCISCO – As we put a bow on Webb Simpson’s victory at the 112th U.S. Open, here are some stats to sink your teeth into:
• For his victory Simpson earns a 10-year exemption into the U.S. Open and a five-year exemption to the Masters, British Open and PGA Championship. He also has a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour.
• Simpson, 26, is the first of the five U.S. Open winners at The Olympic Club not in his 30s. His comeback effort also continued the streak of 54-hole leaders at Olympic not winning the Open.
• Simpson’s statistics for the week were all ranked in the top 20. He was tied for 13th in driving accuracy (31 of 56), tied for 16th in greens hit in regulation (42 of 72) and tied for 18th in total putts (114) .
• The top-10 finishers and ties are exempt into the U.S. Open next year. That’s a big deal for players like Michael Thompson, John Peterson, Casey Wittenberg and Kevin Chappell.
• The top-eight finishers are exempt into the Masters next year. Ernie Els, who missed out on a trip to Augusta National this year, missed the top eight by one shot.
• Jim Furyk has now recorded six top-five finishes at the U.S. Open (1996, 1997, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012). Sunday’s T-4 was the first time in his 18 events when entering the final round with at least a share of the lead that he finished worse than second.
• Tiger Woods tie for 21st is his second-worst finish in 15 professional starts at the U.S. Open. It also was the ninth time in 43 tries that Woods failed to carry the 36-hole lead to victory.
• On Father’s Day, Keegan Bradley’s dad, Michael, carried his bag up the 72nd hole. Keegan closed with a 7-over 77 to tie for 68th.
Webb Simpson can't wait to return to Merion Golf Club this June to defend his U.S. Open title. Simpson competed in the 2005 U.S. Amateur at Merion. Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth