Tiger blames 24/7 media for relentless criticism
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 21, 2012 5:55 PM ET
BETHESDA, Md. – Tiger Woods has endured the criticism of doubters in the past, but perhaps at no other point in his career has he faced so many, so often.
Woods believes the proliferation of media has forced the prolific, blunt appraisal of his game and career.
"We've talked about it with myself and other players, there are so many different ways which news is reported, you've got to be able to stand out somehow to get eyes to your site or your medium," Woods said Monday at Congressional CC at a news conference for the AT&T National. "I think that's why the criticism is how it is."
Reiterating his success in past swing transformations, Woods said he would not have done it again if he did not believe he could improve.
"If I had peaked, then I would have walked," he said.
The world No. 7 has a win on the PGA Tour this year, taking the Arnold Palmer Invitational for the seventh time in March. He won the unofficial, 18-man Chevron World Challenge at the end of 2011.
On the flip side, Woods just finished the worst three-event stretch of his professional career. He produced a pair of T-40 finishes at the Masters and The Players Championship, meanwhile missing the cut in between the two events for the eighth time as a pro at the Wells Fargo Championship.
Despite the string of poor finishes, Woods is proud to have fought through his struggles.
"I'm proud that I do grind it out," he said. "If I had packed it in, I would've missed a lot more cuts in my career – particularly lately when I haven't been playing as well."
Woods does believe he is going in the right direction. His teacher, Sean Foley, offered some statistics to show he is, in fact, close.
"Sean said if I would have improved my final round (average) by two shots," he said, "I would have four wins this year."
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path