Tiger Woods said Wednesday that he’s talked with U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III about the four potential wild-card selections. That didn’t mean Woods was about to reveal any secrets on “Morning Drive,” however.
“I have, yes,” the 14-time major winner said when asked if he’s spoken with Love, who will make his four captain’s picks on Sept. 4. “Am I gonna divulge anything? No. That’s where it ends.”
Woods on Wednesday was playing in the NB3 Foundation Challenge, hosted by longtime friend Notah Begay III at Turning Stone Resort in Verona, N.Y. The Deutsche Bank Championship begins Friday outside Boston.
Since Woods wasn’t dishing, fortunately Begay, a former PGA Tour winner and current Golf Channel analyst, weighed in on the hottest topic in golf.
“What I think is in the best interest of the U.S. side is to find pairings that create good chemistry,” Begay said. “Tiger and (Steve) Stricker have had a nice run. Tiger and (Jim) Furyk have had a nice run. I’d put those two on the team based on performance and leaderboard.
“And I’m a chemistry guy, so Rickie (Fowler) is a positive choice, too.”
“Whoever Captain Love picks,” Begay said, “there’s going to be a couple of guys disappointed.”
Healthy for the first time in years, Notah Begay III finally was on the winning side in his signature charity event, and it felt so very good. Read More
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth