Comments, statements regarding Tiger Woods' WD
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Mar 11, 2012 7:33 PM ET
DORAL, Fla. – A compilation of statements regarding Tiger Woods, who withdrew Sunday from the WGC-Cadillac Championship, citing a left Achilles injury.
Tiger Woods statement: “I felt tightness in my left Achilles warming up this morning, and it continued to get progressively worse. After hitting my tee shot at 12, I decided it was necessary to withdraw. In the past, I may have tried to continue to play, but this time, I decided to do what I thought was necessary.
“I will get my Achilles evaluated sometime early next week.”
Webb Simpson, Woods’ playing partner Sunday: “I didn’t really notice anything. I wasn’t paying much attention, but it looked like he made a swing on 12 that really hurt. But didn’t say a whole lot. Class act. Shook my hand. Off he went.”
Rory McIlroy, playing in group behind Woods: “I saw Tiger and Joey go right off the tee box and I saw Webb and Paul go left. I didn’t know if Tiger was going to the bathroom or what he was doing.”
“It’s precautionary, but I really hope he’s healthy for the Masters, because obviously it would be a great week with him there.”
“Tiger Woods has been the face of golf for the last 15 years. And you know, feeling like he’s coming back to his best or something near his best, it’s great for the game. He can spark an interest in golf that no one else can.”
Steve Stricker: “He always walks with a limp a little bit. I noticed it a little bit again. I thought maybe that’s something he always has, like a habit.”
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Senior PGA Championship
- SCORING: Bahamas LPGA | Senior PGA Champ.
- Kuchar leads by 1 at Colonial after Day 3 | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots