Trump's Scotland course may soon host Euro event
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jul 12, 2012 1:00 PM ET
On the day it was unveiled to the public, Trump International Golf Links Scotland has already been slated for a future European Tour event.
“What (Trump) and I have agreed is that, when we are both ready, we would try and persuade someone to come here – and I don’t think it will be too difficult a task," said George O'Grady, chief executive of the European Tour on Tuesday, according to the Scotsman. "There’s the Scottish Open to think about and I’m sure that’s in the mind of our sponsors, but there are other events as well. It’s certainly capable of taking the biggest and best, I would say."
Owner and developer Donald Trump declared the Martin Hawtree-designed links to be the "greatest golf course anywhere in the world" after a nine-hole inaugural round on Tuesday. O'Grady did not go that far with his praise but sees the immediate potential to host an event on his circuit.
“It’s a man’s golf course – it’s meant for the highest level of play,” he said.
With Gleneagles in Scotland getting the 2014 Ryder Cup, the European Tour would be unlikely to award Trump International the 2022 matches – the next available European date after '18 in Paris.
Trump has said he believes the course could host a future British Open. O'Grady will leave that decision up to the Royal & Ancient.
“I’m not going to be drawn on the Open because the R&A know what they’re doing," he said, "and it’s a bit early to be thinking of Open Championships, I would have thought."
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae