CHASKA, Minn. – Eight of the 12 spots on the U.S. Presidents Cup team are secured heading into the weekend.
Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Steve Stricker, Kenny Perry, Zach Johnson, Stewart Cink, Sean O’Hair and Jim Furyk will be among the top 10 on the American points list who automatically qualify for the team when the PGA Championship concludes Sunday.
Anthony Kim and Justin Leonard, ninth and 10th in points, respectively, made the cut but are vulnerable to being bumped from the top 10.
U.S. captain Fred Couples will announce his two captain’s picks on Sept. 8. The Americans will meet the Internationals Oct. 8-11 at Harding Park in San Francisco.
No. 11 Brian Gay missed the cut at the PGA Championship and can’t make the team on points.
No. 12 Hunter Mahan and No. 13 Lucas Glover made the cut and are in contention. They both have chances to make the team on points with solo finishes of fourth or better. Couples, however, has said he intends to make Mahan a captain’s pick if he doesn’t make it on points. Couples said Glover ranks with Kim and Leonard as his other primary captain’s picks targets, though he isn’t ruling out Gay or No. 17 David Toms, who can only make the team on points with a victory this weekend.
No. 15 Jerry Kelly missed the cut.
No. 16 Dustin Johnson made the cut but can only make the team on points with a victory and he started Saturday eight shots off the lead.
- LIVE STREAM: Coming up: Bahamas LPGA
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots