KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – So much for all that Ryder Cup drama.
Standings for the U.S. team remained unchanged after this week’s PGA Championship, the cutoff to earn an automatic spot on the team via points.
Phil Mickelson, who secured the eighth and final automatic spot, set a U.S. team record by qualifying for his ninth consecutive Ryder Cup.
The rest of the players set to compete for the U.S. next month at Medinah (Ill.) Country Club:
• Tiger Woods (seventh Ryder Cup appearance)
• Bubba Watson (second)
• Jason Dufner (debut)
• Keegan Bradley (debut)
• Webb Simpson (debut)
• Zach Johnson (third)
• Matt Kuchar (second)
• Phil Mickelson (ninth)
Now comes the hard part: U.S. captain Davis Love III will make four captain’s picks on Sept. 4.
Each of the top 16 players in the points standings have won a PGA Tour event this season. Among the players who are now vying for one of the four captain’s picks: Hunter Mahan, Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Rickie Fowler, Brandt Snedeker, Bo Van Pelt, Dustin Johnson and Bill Haas.
Love will hold a press conference at 9 a.m. Monday to discuss the eight players who have qualified for the team.
The European squad will be finalized in two weeks, after the European Tour’s Johnnie Walker Championship on Aug. 26.
The 39th Ryder Cup will be held Sept. 28-30.
Tags: Ryder Cup
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play