U.S. team named for Copa de las Americas event
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Oct 22, 2012 3:33 PM ET
Chris Williams, Steven Fox, Lindy Duncan and Erynne Lee will compete in the 2013 Copa de las Americas amateur competition, the USGA announced Monday.
The Jan. 3-6, 2013, event will be played at Doral Resort and Spa in Miami. It is the first time the competition has been held in the States.
The Copa de las Americas is an amateur competition that pits players from North America, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. There are three four-day, 72-hole competitions – men’s, women’s and overall.
The U.S. won the 2010 event in Buenos Aires.
Williams, 21, of Moscow, Idaho, is the world’s No. 1-ranked amateur. The Washington senior also represented the U.S. at the 2011 Walker Cup.
Fox, 21, of Hendersonville, Tenn., is the reigning U.S. Amateur champion. The Tennessee-Chattanooga senior recently teamed with Williams and Alabama’s Justin Thomas to help the U.S. win the World Amateur Team Championship in Turkey.
Duncan, 21, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., won national Player of the Year honors during her junior season at Duke.
Lee, 19, of Silverdale, Wash., won Freshman of the Year honors last year at UCLA.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots