Nick Watney returned to the winner’s circle at The Barclays and to the top 20 in the Official World Golf Ranking.
With a three-stroke victory at Bethpage Black, Watney jumped from No. 35 to No. 19 in the latest world ranking released Monday. That’s his highest position since late March. He finished last season 12th in the world.
“I feel like this is sort of validation as far as the direction I’m going,” Watney said on Sunday.
Across the pond, Paul Lawrie’s victory at the European Tour’s Johnnie Walker Championship vaulted him to a career-best 30th in the world – a remarkable achievement considering the 43-year-old Scot began the season at No. 83.
Tags: Nick Watney
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots