Nick Watney returned to the winner’s circle at The Barclays and to the top 20 in the Official World Golf Ranking.
With a three-stroke victory at Bethpage Black, Watney jumped from No. 35 to No. 19 in the latest world ranking released Monday. That’s his highest position since late March. He finished last season 12th in the world.
“I feel like this is sort of validation as far as the direction I’m going,” Watney said on Sunday.
Across the pond, Paul Lawrie’s victory at the European Tour’s Johnnie Walker Championship vaulted him to a career-best 30th in the world – a remarkable achievement considering the 43-year-old Scot began the season at No. 83.
Tags: Nick Watney
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth