Watney leads Wells Fargo heading to the weekend
- By Bailey Mosier
- May 4, 2012 4:04 PM ET
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A man whose last name begins with the letter ‘W’ is chasing an important ‘W’ in 2012. Another notable ‘W’ is headed home to Jupiter Island, Fla.
Tiger Woods fired 71-73 and missed the cut for the second time at Quail Hollow; his first MC came in 2010.
The MC for Woods also marks only the eighth time he has missed a cut as a professional and the first time he’s missed the cut twice in the same tournament.
Watney leads Wells Fargo but was sent home early at last week’s Zurich Classic. It was that MC that motivated him for this week.
"I think last week was a wake-up call for me and I've worked really hard these five days leading into this event," Watney said. "Who knows what's going to happen this weekend but I'm really excited for it."
Watney’s 64 was highlighted by a 41-foot putt he made for eagle at the par-5 15th. Additionally, he carded seven birdies and only one bogey.
Simpson, who co-led after Day 1, shot 68 on Friday to remain in contention.
Rory McIlroy celebrated his 23rd birthday with a 68 Friday morning and is at 6 under, six off the pace.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Lewis in LPGA finale
- SCORING: Bae leads Bradley | LPGA Mobile Bay
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Bradley leads Nelson by 1 | At a glance
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Chella Choi leads Mobile; Nordqvist fires 61
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play