ORLANDO, Fla. – Masters champion Bubba Watson made a surprise 30-minute guest appearance Tuesday on Golf Channel’s “Morning Drive” and talked about everything from the whirlwind of the previous 36 hours, to his approach shot on the second playoff hole Sunday, to his 6-week-old boy Caleb, to the state of his beloved General Lee.
“My wife gave me a day and a half off so I figured I’d have a little fun and fly to New York,” Watson said Tuesday after “Morning Drive.” Watson left immediately afterward and headed to the Big Apple to appear on CBS’s “Late Show with David Letterman,” CNBC’s “Street Signs” and CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight.” On Wednesday, Watson will appear on “Charlie Rose” on PBS.
Watson told “Morning Drive” that he hasn’t been able to drive the General Lee while wearing the Masters’ green jacket, saying that it’s in the auto repair shop being modified so that it’s street legal. Once it’s complete, he’ll find time to take a joy ride.
Rickie Fowler helped Watson pack up his belongings Sunday night at Augusta National after the historic victory.
“First, it’s funny that Rickie was helping me pack,” Watson said. “It’s just funny.”
According to Watson, while Fowler was helping, he came across a green garment bag and nearly tossed it in the garbage because he knew it didn’t belong to Watson. But Fowler turned it around and saw “Masters Champion 2012” emblazoned on the back and knew immediately that it was the bag that would house the green jacket for the next year.
“He knew right then not to throw it away,” Watson quipped.
Tags: Bubba Watson
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots