Woods loses in first round at WGC-Match Play for third time
- By Rex Hoggard
- Feb 21, 2013 8:45 PM ET
MARANA, Ariz. – For just the third time in 13 appearances at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, Tiger Woods has lost in the opening round – this time a 2-and-1 bout against Charles Howell III.
“We both played well. Neither one of us made a bogey,” said Woods, who also lost in the first round in 2011 and 2002.
Woods and Howell were never separated by more than one hole until Howell rolled in a 23 footer for birdie at the 16th in fading light. On the next tee officials asked both players if they wanted to stop for the day and complete the match on Friday?
“I said I don’t care and Tiger said let’s go so off we went,” Howell said.
For the day Woods was 2 under par, including a two-putt birdie to square the match at the par-5 13th hole. Howell won the short 15th with a tap in par and advances to the second round for the third time in his career.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots