The only players with three PGA Tour victories this year, they will compete together during the first two rounds of this week’s BMW Championship based on their current FedEx Cup standing. With players in threesomes off two tees for the opening 36 holes, McIlroy (No. 1 on the points list) and Woods (No. 3) will be joined by Nick Watney (No. 2) at Crooked Stick at 11:48 a.m. ET off the 10th tee.
With a victory at the Deutsche Bank Championship on Sunday, McIlroy further extended his lead in the Official World Golf Ranking, while Woods remained in third after a solo third-place finish.
They previously played together at The Barclays, with Woods posting scores of 68-69 to McIlroy’s 69-73. Those rounds were preceded by each player speaking in glowing terms about his fellow competitor.
“He's a great kid and it's great to be around him,” Woods said. “What an amazing talent he really is. I just hope that everyone just lets him grow and develop as a player, because it's going to be fun to see over the next 20 years how this kid's career is going to pan out.”
“I feel every time I've played with Tiger, he's sort of brought the best out of me,” McIlroy countered. “I really enjoy his company.”
Other Thursday and Friday groupings include: Brandt Snedeker, Louis Oosthuizen and Dustin Johnson; Jason Dufner, Zach Johnson and Phil Mickelson; Bubba Watson, Carl Pettersson and Keegan Bradley; Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan and Sergio Garcia; and Steve Stricker, Luke Donald and Ernie Els.
Tee times for the BMW will be announced on Tuesday.
The final round of the BMW Championship will go off in twosomes for the first time this week. And the final few groups are names that will get your attention. Read More
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play