Woods under par after opening nine holes at PGA
- By Jay Coffin
- Aug 9, 2012 11:36 AM ET
KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Tiger Woods, who began the first round of the PGA Championship on the 10th hole, shot 1-under 35 on his opening nine holes Thursday which puts him three shots behind leader Carl Pettersson.
Woods birdied the 12th hole, bogeyed the next two, and then birdied the 15th hole. He made a 25-foot birdie putt on No. 18 to turn with momentum.
Woods was criticized at the British Open three weeks ago for not hitting driver enough off the tee at Royal Lytham & St. Annes. That’s not a problem here at the Ocean Course. He’s hit driver five times already and only missed one fairway with the big stick.
- Tiger: No desire to clear the air with Garcia
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae