AUGUSTA, Ga. – The day’s “Gen Y” threesome didn’t disappoint. The 9:24 a.m. (ET) group was a combined 9 under par led by Rory McIlroy’s 7-under 65 that vaulted the Northern Irishman into the lead.
Rickie Fowler took also-ran honors in the group with his 2-under 70 while “old man” Jason Day finished at even par. Age, of course, is relative in this group. Combined the three-ball is just five years older (66) than Tom Watson (61), who teed off just as the group was finishing.
“I am the old man in this group,” said Day, 23. “These two blokes walk as quick as possible and I can barely keep up.”
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots