As some of you may have noticed, corporate came in and took over the Grill Room. Not to worry, the Golf Guy has decided to open a sports lounge upstairs from the Grill Room – open all night. The bartender is from Ireland and he works on tips and funny comments.
OK, here we go – I'm going to take on one of the most unpopular topics in all of golf: is the Open Championship overrated? Cut to the chase – yes. Look, I love the history, the traditions, and perhaps most importantly – to me – the terminology and some of the characters: pot bunkers, gorse and heather, the Firth of Forth, the Barry Burn, and the lovable former executive director of the European Tour, Ken Schofield, as well as starter Ivor Robson. That said, I really – really – don't like seeing players wearing five layers of rain suits, caddies struggling with a bag, a towel and an umbrella, and many players shooting in the high 70s. Take out the horrendous weather? I'd love it. Like Day 1!
Golf Guy’s Sports Talk Live
Revised odds to win Open Championship:
Tiger Woods: 5-1 (opening line 8-1)
Lee Westwood: 50-1 (14-1)
Luke Donald: 25-1 (14-1)
Rory McIlroy: 9-1 (16-1)
Padraig Harrington: 33-1 (20-1)
Graeme McDowell: 14-1 (28-1)
Phil Mickelson: 80-1 (33-1)
Bubba Watson: 25-1 (40-1)
Golf Guy's revised pick to win at Royal Lytham ... Graeme McDowell
Just like everyone, the Golf Guy stumbles through life and realizes he has a lot of questions:
Paul Casey still plays golf for a living? Why does Conan O'Brien still have a TV show? Why hasn't the R&A given a lifetime exemption to Monty for the Open Championship? Should I know who Lady Gaga is? Why do they still make steering wheels that burn your hands off when you get in the car during the summer? Why do we not have more pot bunkers in the U.S.?
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play