Numbers don't lie. But what do they really say? Each day in the Grill Room, we will offer up a daily stat from the world of golf for you to chew on. Today's nugget:
On this day in golf history, on June 29, 1906, Scotland's Alex Smith won his first major at the 12th U.S. Open at Owentsia Club in Lake Forest, Ill. Who came in second? His brother, Willie Smith, who he beat by seven strokes.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path