Numbers don't lie. But what do they really say? Each day in the Grill Room, we will offer up a daily stat from the world of golf for you to chew on. Today's nugget:
On this day in golf history, on June 29, 1906, Scotland's Alex Smith won his first major at the 12th U.S. Open at Owentsia Club in Lake Forest, Ill. Who came in second? His brother, Willie Smith, who he beat by seven strokes.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Feherty's Venturi interview
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Teater leads British Open qualifier; Guthrie 1 back
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae