Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina this week for the RBC Heritage. When asked about Bubba Watson’s potential impact as a Masters Champion, Miceli said that there was potential but the fact is he has only won one Major. He is getting a lot of attention this week but he will have to do a lot more as time goes on in order to maintain the momentum that he has now.
Looking ahead to the other Majors, you have to look at the Olympic Club, Royal Lytham, and Kiawah Island differently than you look at Augusta National. Watson is very untraditional in his swing and style and while that is not necessarily negative, it may not help him during the U.S. Open the way it helped him during The Masters because Augusta National is a place that invites creativity in the way you play.
This week, you can look at players like Matt Kuchar who are playing well as well as a former RBC Heritage Champion in Boo Weekley for possible contenders. There are so many players who can win this week because success is not dependent on putting but instead it is dependent on driving accuracy.
It is very difficult to defend your title at Harbour Town just as it is hard to defend anywhere. While it has happened, he does not anticipate Snedeker winning for a second straight year.
When it comes to disciplinary policies, he said that as a fan he supports the major sports leagues who announce disciplinary actions but a large part of that is because there are player unions. The professional golf tours are not unions but instead are owned by the players. In general, he supports the idea of having transparency when it comes to disciplining players for bad behavior and does not think that transparency would hurt golf in this case.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Monty: Overblown, we're all frightened to say anything
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots