The Valero Texas Open will move to the week before The Masters for 2013 and Alex thinks that it is overselling the news to say that this will be a home run for the San Antonio event. Houston has been successful in giving players a chance to prepare for The Masters with some similar course conditions but Alex does not see San Antonio being able to provide the same thing. As a result, the field will likely suffer a bit next year.
Harris English, who is tall, has a good swing, and doesn’t get flustered very often, is the prototype of the modern-day young pro in Alex’s opinion. English has been playing very well lately and he thinks English could earn his first win this week although he also mentioned that Bud Cauley has been very impressive as well.
He expected Jim Furyk to win a tournament early in 2012 and while he has had some good weeks, he has not won on the PGA TOUR. A lot of players perform very well week to week and are very close with their games but are not able to win. Phil Mickelson is just one example of a player who was not only close with his game, but also an example of a player who let everyone know that fact.
Rickie Fowler and Jeff Overton provided Corey Pavin some challenges as being non-winners and members of the 2010 U.S. Ryder Cup team. Miceli does not see Love III as having any challenges right now but that the challenges would begin in August because at that point the teams are close to being established and Love III will have to figure out how to best arrange the team. He will also have to face the question about veterans when it comes to who will be on the team and who will be an assistant captain.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots