Golf Channel Contributor Alex Miceli is in England this week for the 141st Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St. Annes. Miceli felt that the conditions this week would allow for a lot of players to contend this week but if the course becomes hard and fast due to the wind, the number of contenders is significantly reduced because accuracy becomes absolutely crucial. He does not think that you have to be a great putter to win this week but you have to have a great short game which would make players like Luke Donald and Francesco Molinari favorites.
Tiger Woods is currently the favorite based on the betting houses but Miceli does not think that is a reasonable choice because while he has won three times in 2012, the fields in all three events were pretty good at best and for a person who says that Majors define his season, a T40 in The Masters and a T21 in the U.S. Open are not good performances. He does not think that Tiger plays well when a course plays soft and the greens are slow which is how Royal Lytham will be playing this week. When Tiger won at Royal Liverpool, the course was so firm and fast that he could hit a 4-iron almost 300 yards and he has already said that he will have to use driver relatively often this week because of the conditions. While he does not doubt that Tiger can win with the driver, Miceli said that it will be a challenge.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management