Miceli is in Shanghai, China this week for the WGC-HSBC Champions. The players know that Shanghai is a big place as the airport is about 90 minutes away from the golf course and there are 23 million people. Except for the photo-op in downtown Shanghai, most people at the tournament this week do not actually experience Shanghai proper during the week. On the question of having a butler or a personal chef, he feels that the chef is more important because he can do the laundry himself but he would enjoy having someone prepare dinner for him. The weather was terrible yesterday so it would have been especially nice to have dinner ready when you get home.
On the Transitions news, he says that the Tampa event will be the hardest spot to fill out of the 4 Florida swing events although he is not suggesting that the PGA TOUR will be unable to find another sponsor. This event has had sponsorship issues for many years and while he thinks another sponsor will be found, the PGA TOUR will have some work to do.
On Yani Tseng expressing interest in playing a PGA TOUR event, he feels that sponsor’s exemptions can be used in any way a tournament sponsor wants in the effort to attract attention and fans. The Kemper Open invited Redskins QB Mark Rypien one year and when the Colonial invited Annika Sorenstam, the crowds were huge for the first two rounds and Annika was not that far from making the cut and the same was true for Michelle Wie at the Sony Open and the John Deere Classic.
He thinks that the WGC-HSBC Champions should be an official PGA TOUR event but he does think it will happen in the next few years as the PGA TOUR is too set in its ways to make such a different move.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots