President Bill Clinton - January 19, 2012
- By Morning Drive Team
- Jan 19, 2012 7:39 AM ET
Former President Bill Clinton and his foundation are working in collaboration with the PGA TOUR this week with the Humana Challenge. Morning Drive Contributor Annika Sorenstam interviewed the 42nd President on Tuesday in California at the Health Matters Forum. When he was growing up, he admired players like Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, and Jack Nicklaus. As he got older, he admired Greg Norman as he was dominating the world of golf. But one player he admires more than anyone is Babe Didrikson Zaharias because not only was she incredible at golf, she was also inredible in other sports like track and field. He enjoys reading a couple of first edition books by Bobby Jones and Harry Vardon. Jones and Vardon would be part of his dream foursome along with a modern long-hitter like a Dustin Johnson as long as everyone was using the same set of clubs and they were playing at a links course like Ballybunion, Dornoch, or St. Andrews. He loves links courses because they tend to be laid out close to the way God laid out the land although he does not tend to play them very well.
When it comes to creating a healthier environment for people, one of the biggest obstacles is the fact that many of the nation’s schools are strapped for cash. Many schools do not provide healthy foods for students because of the costs and the fact that schools buy in bulk and that food is often unhealthy and high in calories. His foundation is working to improve the quality of food in the schools because if they are able to create healthy habits among young people, then in the future diseases like obesity and diabetes will be significantly reduced. His foundation has gotten commitments from a number of food providers already and while there is a lot of work to do, if people and companies can work together for this great cause, a lot of great things can happen.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Rd. 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- F. Molinari leads BMW | McIlroy, McDowell MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots