2-time U.S. Open Champion and World Golf Hall of Fame Member Billy Casper is at the 2012 Ryder Cup Junior Academy in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Casper was also the Captain of the winning 1979 U.S. Ryder Cup Team at The Greenbrier Resort. 81 junior golfers have been brought to Port St. Lucie by the PGA of America for a week of lessons and teachings from numerous teachers including himself and Dow Finsterwald.
In the 1979 Ryder Cup at The Greenbrier, Tom Watson had to back out of the Matches that year due to the birth of one of his children. He was planning to pair Watson with Lanny Wadkins but after Watson left, he decided to put Larry Nelson with Wadkins and they went on to win all four of their matches together including three matches over a young Seve Ballesteros. It was great to then see Nelson defeat Ballesteros in their Singles match.
He was at The Olympic Club for U.S. Open Week where he won the 1966 U.S. Open. The USGA did such a wonderful job with everything and the fact is, what you saw on television was just 10% of the entire operation and everyone involved with the tournament did a wonderful job. It was truly a special week in San Francisco.
The 81 junior golfers have come from all over the country to the PGA Teaching Facility and he and Dow Finsterwald have worked with them over the past few days. Casper said that he is incredibly impressed with the talent of all of the young men and women involved this year. The level of talent among the juniors tells him that the PGA professionals all over the country are doing a fantastic job of growing the game.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Korda in Mobile
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Korda leads Mobile Bay LPGA through 36
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process