2011 Valero Texas Open Champion Brendan Steele is not in the field in Arizona this week but he went on Twitter to make picks for all of the matches. He loves the first round match between Sergio Garcia and Miguel Angel Jimenez and thinks it is always fun to have a pair of countrymen play against each other. He thinks Sergio will win and actually thinks the Gary Player bracket is the best of the four this year. He also likes the Keegan Bradley-Geoff Ogilvy match as well as the Charl Schwartzel-Gary Woodland match. He thinks Woodland will beat the Masters Champion because he thinks that Woodland will be able to overpower the course and put up a lot of birdies.
Steele thinks that in the Sam Snead bracket, Tiger Woods will go to the end of the bracket but will lose to Webb Simpson. He does not think that it is a foul of any kind to say that Tiger Woods is beatable although he would not have used those words. He would have said that Tiger is a great match play player and looks forward to the match. ‘
In the Bobby Jones bracket, he has Luke Donald going to the end of the bracket but has him losing to a bit of surprise pick in Bo Van Pelt. He thinks that Adam Scott will get past Robert Rock in what will be a great match and thinks that Bo Van Pelt has the game to take him to the Final Four. He thinks that Dustin Johnson will win a couple of rounds and show that his 0-3 history is a bit of a fluke and that he really is a good match play player as he showed in his 6&4 singles win over Martin Kaymer in the 2010 Ryder Cup.
In the Ben Hogan bracket, he thinks that it will come down to Martin Kaymer and Hunter Mahan with Hunter Mahan pulling off a bit of an upset over the World #4 and 2011 WGC-Accenture Match Play Runner-up.
His final four for the WGC-Accenture Match Play are: Hunter Mahan against Webb Simpson and Bo Van Pelt against Rory McIlroy.
In Match Play, he said that he would talk to his opponent less in this format than he would in a stroke play format and it has to be because in match play, it is like the final round of a tournament in every single round.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth