Carl Pettersson earned his 5th career PGA TOUR win on Sunday in the RBC Heritage. The interview began with Annika Sorenstam conducting the interview in Swedish with Carl answering the questions in Swedish. Gary then asked in English who Carl’s inspirations were growing up and he said that Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo were his inspirations although he has always admired professional athletes and what they are able to do.
He knew he had a 5 shot lead going into the back nine on Sunday and that knowledge added pressure to the final round because he knew that he was being chased and he did not want to lose the lead. Carl said that he played well and felt comfortable on a course that he loves so much.
When asked about his fat guy in a little coat comment, Pettersson said that after 2008 he lost 30 pounds and because he lost the weight too quickly, the loss had a negative impact on his golf swing and as a result he struggled in 2009. So after 2009 he decided to gain the weight back and he has been able to play a lot better since.
Jesper Parnevik gave him the nickname of Swedish Redneck and when asked about what makes him a redneck, he said that he grew up in Greensboro, North Carolina, went to junior college in Alabama before going to N.C. State, and still lives in North Carolina. He admitted that he certainly had an interesting upbringing as he started in Sweden, moved to England, and then moved to the United States as a kid.
He is really looking forward to going back to Augusta National in 2013 as he has played The Masters a few times and feels that it is truly a great and special tournament. He came up short in Houston when he was trying to earn a 2012 Masters invitation and he thought a lot about Houston while sitting at home during Masters Week.
It is going to be very difficult to make the European Ryder Cup team not only because he is not a European Tour member but also because the team right now is so strong. He has come close in the past but at this moment, it is too early to even think about being on the team so he is just going to try to continue to play well and win more tournaments.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Bradley at Byron Nelson
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process