Chandler is the Managing Director of ISM which is behind the reported Turkish Airlines World Golf Finals events in October in Turkey. Reports from British newspapers say that the event, which is scheduled to be held nine days after the end of the Ryder Cup, will include Tiger Woods, Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy, Hunter Mahan, Webb Simpson, Justin Rose, and Charl Schwartzel.
When asked if he was the mastermind of this event, he joked that he has never been called a mastermind before saying that he was approached by the Turkish Golf Association with the idea for a 78-player field. Chandler said that everyone is proposing a tournament like that but that no one had suggested a Match Play event with the best 8 players in the world competing for a large purse. Tennis has a similar event which is held at the end of the year involving only the top players in the world playing for a large purse. Chandler added that most of the objectives for this event have already been achieved.
The event is scheduled for just after the Ryder Cup and the goal is to show the tours in the world of golf what they can do so it will hopefully be added to the schedule at the end of the year to ideally crown a world’s best player.
He is hopeful that Tiger Woods will be involved in this event and he is optimistic that the large majority of the eligible top players will be there. To get the field, they used the Official World Golf Ranking from the Monday of Masters Week in order to allow the world’s best to have plenty of time to commit. And he is very happy to have gotten positive responses from many of those players.
He was at The Irish Open last week at Royal Portrush and he had never seen anything like it although he has certainly been to big events in the United States. He feels that some logistical issues which may have kept an Open Championship away from Northern Ireland were settled last week and the crowds played a big role in creating a fun and joyful atmosphere.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Sorenstam in 'Go Annika'
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management