D.J. Gregory is the founder of the Walking For Kids Foundation and earlier this year, he donated $30,000 to The First Tee of Connecticut. Stricken with cerebral palsy, he made news in 2008 when he went to 44 PGA TOUR events in one year and walked the entire course at each stop. He appeared on Morning Drive with PGA TOUR professional William McGirt.
Each week on the PGA TOUR, he walks with a PGA TOUR player and that player makes a donation to the Walking For Kids Foundation. The Foundation was founded in 2009 and with the help of PGA TOUR players as well as many other people, it has raised a lot of money and has done some great work.
McGirt said that Gregory followed him for the first time at the 2011 Barclays. McGirt was a bubble boy that week in the PGA TOUR Playoffs and McGirt played well enough to advance to the next event. He felt that Gregory brought him a lot of luck that week.
Gregory said that he is someone who does not take no for an answer and that is what drove him to travel to PGA TOUR events and walk the courses with players to raise money. He has certainly gotten the attention of many players and they have been very generous to helping the Walking For Kids Foundation.
McGirt is only about 50 points behind the number that was needed to make the PGA TOUR Playoffs in 2011 and as he wants to return this year, he knows that he has to continue to play well and he was definitely encouraged by his play in the FedEx St. Jude Classic where he recorded his best finish of the season. If he plays well, the PGA TOUR Playoffs will take care of itself.
Tags: The First Tee
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Bradley leads Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Poulter out at Volvo | 'Disgusted' with play | Results
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Donald receives MBE from Queen of England
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process